Almost on a daily basis I receive emails from people who are in desperate straits and want to change their lives using the law of attraction. They ask me to help them to figure out how to use the law of attraction to get the thing that is eluding them and making their lives miserable. Sometimes, it’s the lack of money, sometimes it is a health problem, and sometimes it is a relationship.
What I want to say to all of them is “you’re going about it the wrong way”.
It took me a relatively long time to learn this truth – but learn it I did. There are two things you need to understand, as I did:
- When you try to use the law of attraction from a place of desperation, it doesn’t work. In fact, it can even make things worse. This is complicated by the fact that your vibration and thought about one subject impacts all the other subjects in your life. In my case, I was so worried about the fact that my ex-husband would take my six year old son away, that I almost lost my house.
- You cannot do things that go against your beliefs and get positive results. In my case, when I started understanding the law of attraction, I became careless about my spending habits – I had started believing that money would flow in easily, but I had not given up the belief that one should not spend more than in coming in, and that you have to work hard to have money flow in. So the knowledge of law of attraction actually gave rise to “opposing beliefs” inside me. What I failed to recognize was that my new found beliefs based on the law of attraction were little seedlings that did not have strong roots, while my old beliefs about money were full grown trees with roots that ran deep into my psyche and controlled all my thoughts. As a result, my actions started coming from my understanding of the law of attraction but they did not result in the things I wanted because the trees on my path were big, and I did not know how to deal with them.
Beware of opposing beliefs
It took a lot of work – vibrational work, thinking work – all based on what I learnt from Abraham. It is no wonder that I teach the law of attraction based solely on what I have learnt from Abraham.
- You can’t stop wanting what you want, but you can stop thinking about it. Every time you find your thoughts going to the subject of the thing you want, STOP. Remind yourself that thinking about this thing you want is going to do more damage than good. Remind yourself that the thing that will help the most is to focus on a different thought. You have two choices, and either one of them is fine, provided you can discipline yourself to stay with it. 1) Start repeating the words “things always work out for me – I don’t know how things will fall into place, but I am willing to trust that they will”. 2) Switch your attention to something else, something that feels better than the problem or situation that has you in its grip. I like to focus on nature and appreciate the flowers and the trees, the birds and my pets.
- When you feel better talk to yourself about all the things you can appreciate about where you are in life. Make a long gratitude list and remind yourself on a frequent daily basis about it. If you are in a place where you can’t find anything to appreciate about your life then just continue focusing on nature, or things outside your life that you can appreciate.
- The important thing is to stop looking for the results you want to see – just tell yourself that they will show up in perfect timing. When you look for results, you actually push the things you want away from you.
- Develop a habit of appreciating things around you and meditation, and do these just because you trust that your life will improve in many different ways because of it, and not because you want something specific to happen because of it. The thing about appreciating and meditating is that if you do these things in order to make something happen, then you look for results, and when you look for results you push the things you want further away rather than bring them closer. You do this by noticing that the things you want haven’t happened – when you focus on reality you perpetuate it so that the same thing shows up in your future.
- Start pre-paving your day when you wake up and pre-pave going to bed.
- Do the work not to achieve anything specific but just because you trust that when you do the work your life improves.
| || |
Remember that the law of attraction is not a law that teaches you how to get the things that you want – law of attraction is a lifestyle that leads to living a life from a place of love and peace within your heart, and a by-product of this lifestyle is that you experience ease and flow in all the things you want to achieve in life.
Remember that life is not about the things you want to get – everything that you want is because you think it will make you happy. So the end objective is to find happiness and joy. So why not ask the Universe and that which you call God to bring you all the things that will make you happy, and leave it at that. Let the universe surprise and delight you. There may be things that you might never have thought about that have the capacity to make you happy – why not leave the door of unlimited possibilities open.