The Law of Detachment states that when you hold on to anything you're actually pushing it away from you, but if you let go, things seem to flow to you naturally.
Example: Many women who try too hard to get pregnant often struggle, but a woman who has sex for the pleasure of it get pregnant without even trying.
The only things in life you need to be in control of, are your own thoughts and decisions.
Signs of attachment:
1. Not willing to give because you are afraid of not having enough.
2. Excessive desire to be in control, instead of letting life flow.
3. You are attached to outcomes. Things must go exactly the way you expect them to or else.
4. You can't imagine being without something or someone.
That was a few examples of attachment. Notice how they are all rooted in fear and that fear will create controlling behavior in you. Your controlling behavior will lead only to disappointment and rob you of your peace.
How to be Detached:
1. Don't stress about the outcome of any situation. Trust the universe to take care of these matters.
2. Mind your own business. Allow people to live their own lives separate from your expectations of what they should and should not be doing. Spend a lot of time with yourself and take care of your own life.
4. Always be willing to give. The thing you hold on too tightly, you will always loose.
The law of cause and effect states that if you give, you will surely receive it back in the same measure you gave.
In the beginning letting go might seem hard to do, because it's new. If you been attached for many years it may seem difficult, but it's really not if you consider the damage you caused by living this way. That should be enough motivation to try something new.