Feeling good about your life involves just 2 parts. One is to learn to think about yourself in healthy ways. This is something I had to learn how to do. The second involves seeing yourself being successful - creating a mental image of it and feeling the feelings that go with the achievement.
Use these 10 ideas to help you feel good about your life, starting today.
1. Never stop having fun. Look for fun in everything. I was lucky because as I was growing up my parents made all my decisions for me. I learnt that pushing back wouldn't help, giving in was easier and I would make a mental decision to enjoy whatever it was I was assigned to do and to do my best at it. Pretty soon, I learnt that I could be good at anything. This skill has served me well in life. Happiness is a decision.
2. Don't give up on life. Be interested and curious about yourself and about others. I heard Esther Hicks say in one of her workshops that anything that's not growing is dead. When you think about it, it is so true. The plants and animals around us are growing and changing all the time. We are growing new body cells and replacing old ones all the time. Change is truly a part of life, so why not embrace it?
3. Think "how?" instead of "why?". Instead of spending your time and energy trying to "overcome" your weakness, just find a way around it. I don't believe in trying to break down walls. If there's a wall in my way, I try to find a way around it - the easiest possible route. Make your life easy.
4. Don't allow yourself to get stuck, as long as you are moving forward you are making progress - and going back - well, that's just not an option. If you start feeling stuck start looking for solutions, just don't submit to being stuck for too long - those who do end up with depression. Gotta keep movin.
5. Accept who you are. You are perfect as you are. No need to change for anyone else except yourself. Accept others exactly the way they are. Afterall, asking them to change in any way would be like saying, if you want me to like you - get a nose job! and if I can't say that, then I can't say stop smoking or drinking or anything else either, because the principle is the same.
6. Think positive thoughts. We all want positive results, but most of us practice sloppy thinking. And because our thinking patterns are habitual, breaking the habit is important. I find that listening to tapes of other teachers helps me break the pattern, more so than meditation. Sometimes, our own thoughts hurt us, and when that happens, it's time to turn them off.
7. Make appreciation a part of your life. Appreciation takes us a step closer to joy and joy takes us to freedom - really all we want in life is to feel free and joyous. Appreciate everything. Appreciate simple things like the people who invented blog sites, and the possibility of creating free blogs, and the fact that the internet exists,and that it is a wonderful place that allows us to be who we want to be, where the universe responds instantaneously at the push of button, where we are all free - isn't it amazing?
8. Connect with your feelings. I found that many years of doing things to please others robbed me of my connection with my own feelings. I is not the easiest thing to try and reconnect with the way we feel and to actually tell the difference between something good feeling and bad feeling, just on the basis of feeling - without bringing logical reasoning into the picture. Life would be so simple if we didn't use logic and used emotion instead.
9. Don't live in the past. Let go of things that are holding you back. There's nothing in the past that you can change or correct -- that can only be done in the present. Forgive yourself and forgive others. There is a lot of freedom in forgiveness.
10. Swim with the current - downstream. Don't waste your time complaining about what you can't control (weather, other people, economy). Concentrate on what you CAN control, like who you hug, what you read, how much you laugh, where you go, what you do, what you think about. There is never any point in swimming against the current - just go with the flow.